The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings was filmed all over New Zealand, though more in the South Island than the North. Peter Jackson researched remote and little visited corners of the country to provide the hugely varied and spectacular scenery of the films. Regions such as Tongariro National Park in the central North Island, Nelson Lakes and the Mt Arthur area near Motueka/Riwaka, Queenstown, Arrowtown, Glenorchy and the Matukituki Valley near Mt Aspiring in the Southern Lakes, Fiordland, parts of central Otago were all important locations for the movies. Fiordland, especially, has featured in The Hobbit.
Any tour by followers of the movies is not complete without a visit to Wellington and Weta Workshops. The ongoing contribution of the Lord of the Rings movies and Peter Jackson and Richard Taylor to the industry in terms of editing studios, set and model making is visible in the large areas of Seatown given over to movie design; from Avatar to Tintin, The Planet of the Apes, Wolverine, the Hobbit movies and Batman. See Weta Workshops.
Hobbit & Lord of the Rings
- 4WD Safari & LOTR Locations Queenstown, Southern Lakes
- Auckland to Rotorua Private Tour Auckland
- Tongariro Crossing Guided Walks Turangi, Central Plateau
- Dart River Funyak & Wilderness Jet Glenorchy & Queenstown
- Alpine Heli-Hiking Wanaka, Southern Lakes
- Lord of the Rings Helicopter Flight Nelson Region
- Hobbits Holidays Location Tours Nelson Region
- Hobbit & LOTR Tours Wellington
- Jet Boat Wilderness Experience Wanaka, Southern Lakes