Otago Coastal Towns, Dunedin and Oamaru
Oamaru and Dunedin are both well preserved Victorian sea port towns. Oamaru is a small but passionate foodie destination while Dunedin is a larger university city with excellent museums and galleries and the famed wildlife of the Otago Peninsula. Both have historic precincts dating from early European settlement and gold-rush days.
The coastlines and beaches to the south offer very cold waters but magnificent landscapes and some of New Zealand’s best bird and marine life. The Otago Peninsula is a long convoluted ridge of land with numerous and glorious hidden beaches and estuaries providing an excellent refuge for New Zealand wildlife. The world’s only mainland breeding colony for the Royal Albatross is located at the tip of the Otago Peninsula. You can also likely to see penguins, seals and sea lions.
Central Otago is the dry heart of the South Island. You can choose to stick with the Central Otago Rail Trail or take time to explore the less travelled charm of Central Otago and the Maniototo. A place of wide valley plains with a backdrop of distant ranges, quietly flowing rivers, quaint villages with old country pubs, small rural towns and a rich gold mining history. You can travel through it enroute from Dunedin to Queenstown or Wanaka or coming north from Christchurch down the east coast via Oamaru and then inland at Palmerston to the Southern Lakes. Clyde was was once a wild and rollicking ‘canvas’ town bustling with gold miners. Now it is a small village, well placed for exploring the Central Otago Wine district.
Christchurch-Oamaru: 3 hours
Oamaru-Dunedin: 1 hour 30 mins
Oamaru-Queenstown: 3 hours 30 mins
Oamaru-Arthur's Pass: 4 hours
- Pen-y-bryn Lodge Oamaru, North Otago
- Fletcher Lodge Dunedin, Otago
- South Island Private Tours & Transfers Christchurch & South Island
- Blue Penguin Viewing & Walks Oamaru, North Otago
- Otago Rail Trail & Bike Tours Clyde, Dunedin, Queenstown
- Taieri Gorge & Seasider Trains Dunedin, Otago
- Alps2Ocean Cycle Trail & Heli-Bike Oamaru, North Otago
- Rock Climbing Oamaru, North Otago
- Otago Peninsula Nature Tour Dunedin & Otago Peninsula
- Maori Rock Art Tours Timaru, Canterbury