Wilderness Lodge Lake Moeraki
near Haast, West Coast
Eco Lodge and nature guides, Lake Moeraki
The Wilderness Lodge at Lake Moeraki is sited on the edge of the Moeraki River as it exits Lake Moeraki. Just a short walk away is the sea and an outstanding coastline for wildlife viewing. Your hosts are renowned wildlife and natural history specialists and you have the opportunity to take a number of exclusive walks with them to view the local bird and sealife.
The lodge offers eco lodge accommodation and guided nature tours with wonderful opportunities to explore the protected rainforests, lakes, rivers & beaches. The towering forests are home to a wealth of ferns, mosses & orchids. The lakes & rivers support a fantastic brown trout fishery. The wild coast offers endless walking possibilities and is home to fur seals and rare crested tawaki penguins. Tawaki penguins breed in the coastal rainforest between July and December then return to moult in February. These are the world’s second rarest penguin, found only in the south-west corner of New Zealand. Lake Moeraki is one of the very few places were they can be seen reliably. Guests can visit penguin beaches on their own or join naturalist guides to visit secret protected sites.
Lake Moeraki is the perfect place to escape the busy tourist trail and experience wild New Zealand in comfort and style. Visitors looking to walk, kayak or just relax in a stunning natural setting will find themselves very much at home here.
Accommodation & Activity Package
These rooms look out to lush West Coast rainforest. You can watch for birds right from your window.
- Each room has a private bathroom, tea & coffee making facilities, fresh fruit and flowers.
- Suitable for a couple or 2 adults with one child under 12 years sharing.
- Rooms with interconnecting doors are available for families.
These are our premier rooms, perfect for those wanting to treat themselves to an extra level of comfort and style.
- They all have beautiful views down the Moeraki River Rapids and their own sun decks
- More spacious and luxurious with spa bathes and separate showers.
- They are perfect for a couple or 2 adults. They are not available for children.
- Complimentary guided activity
- Full day guided trips $
- Kayaks & Forest Trails
- Penguin viewing (seasonal)
- Natural history library
- Satellite wifi
Price: $798 to $1,178
Dinner B&B with complimentary guided walk
ROOMS 28 | MAX GUESTS 56
The Lodge is located alongside State Highway 6 in the South West of the South Island.
- 30km north of the small township of Haast and 90km south of Fox Glacier township.
- An easy 300km (190 miles) 4 hour drive from Greymouth or Queenstown (Wanaka 2 hrs, 180km) near which are airports, rental car facilities and daily bus services to the Lodge.
- The Tranz Alpine train arrives in Greymouth from Christchurch/Arthur's Pass at 1.30pm each day. It is then a 4 hour drive to Lake Moeraki. (It is faster and more direct to drive from Arthur's Pass to Lake Moeraki rather than train/drive).
Wilderness Lodge Lake Moeraki is a comfortable 370km (230 mile) six hour drive from Wilderness Lodge Arthurs Pass.
MINIMUM STAY 2 nights between 20 December & 1 March
CHILD POLICY Children 2-12 welcome in Rainforest & Garden Rooms
CHECK-IN 2pm | CHECK-OUT 10:30am
CANCELLATION 7 days 100%
ANNUAL CLOSURE mid-May until mid-August
PUBLIC HOLIDAYS Surcharge applies
- Dr Gerry McSweeney & Anne Saunders
- T +64 3 750 0881
- W www.wildernesslodge.co.nz
State Highway 6, 30 km north of Haast, Lake Moeraki, South Westland
On-site wildlife viewing, hikes, walks and kayaking. One hour drive north to Fox Glacier, 30 mins south to Haast and the utterly wild Waiatoto River Safari.
Queenstown Airport - 3 hours
Greymouth - 3 hour 30 minutes
Wilderness Lodge Arthurs' Pass - 4 hours 30 minutes