Takou River Lodge
Kerikeri, Bay of Islands
Romantic Cottages, Northland
Takou River Lodge, cottages and glamping in the Bay of Islands is the perfect place to indulge in a romantic retreat or relaxing escape. This award-winning luxury eco lodge provides idyllic self-contained accommodation beside the Takou River on a stunning 150 acre organic farm, surrounded by native bush and acres of sub-tropical gardens. Choose from cottages for two to four people, a private glamping experience in the new luxury tented camp or book the main lodge out for a special occasion.
Relax in your own private romantic alfresco claw foot bath perched over the river; wander the flourishing 5 acre sub-tropical gardens and discover the myriad New Zealand native bird life; borrow a kayak from our boathouse to explore the river and paddle downstream to one of Northland's beautiful deserted sandy beaches, discovering deserted swimming and picnic spots and the unique Maori Monument to the Waka Mataatua. Try your hand at fishing in the tranquil Takou River or explore the 150 acre organic farm with marked walks along the river bank, through native bush and along side streams and a waterfall. Indulge in a relaxing massage or spa treatment in the privacy of your cottage, soak in a unique and magically located river bank hot tub, or simply bask in the bliss of doing absolutely nothing… Ideal for small weddings, honeymoons or just a place to stay after a long overseas flight.
- Magic Cottage: an intimate solar powered studio perched on the river bank – the perfect romantic retreat complete with super king bed, small kitchen area, wrap around decks and intimate alfresco claw foot bath overlooking the river
- Summer and River Cottages: more spacious 2-bedroom cottages sleeping 2 – 4 guests in 2 king/twin and queen en suite bedrooms, open plan living areas and full kitchens. Built with environmental sensitivity and set in the beautiful gardens a minutes walk from the riverbank, each cottage has a cosy wood fire and its own private romantic alfresco claw foot bath either perched on the cottage deck (River Cottage) or hidden away in the gardens at The beautiful Balinese Summer House (Summer Cottage).
- The Lodge: spacious and indulgent accommodation for a couple or those wishing to relax with family and friends. It has a lovely warm timber interior, log fire and spa bath; beautifully appointed kitchen and luxurious super-king and king beds; cathedral ceilings and uninterrupted views across the lawns and lily ponds to the river. The Lodge can be expanded to sleep up to 8 guests.
- Shearers’ Cottage: a sunny and spacious three bedroom self-catering cottage, perfect for families or couples wishing to relax and explore the Bay of Islands.
- NEW in 2015 - luxury glamping: Ideal for a romantic escape.
- Gourmet meals by arrangement
- Kayaks, canoes & fishing rods
- On-site walks in 5 acre sub-tropical gardens
- Peaceful river with swimming & picnic spots
- Relaxing and therapeutic massages $
- Romantic free standing Hot Tub
- Guest Laundry
Price: $300 to $600
Self-catering. 2 extra adults $70-$100
COTTAGES 5 | LUXURY TENT 1 | MAX GUESTS 26
Located 20 minutes north of Kerikeri at the end of Takou Bay Road. From Kerikeri rejoin SH10 and drive towards Waipapa. Continue for 8 km on SH10 north of Waipapa, and look out for a lamp post on the left hand side of the road with a sign underneath pointing to the right hand turn to Takou Bay Road. Take this right hand turn. After about 1 km the tarmac ends and the road forks; take the left hand fork, still Takou Bay Road. Follow this road to the end (approx 5.5 km) and enter our property through the green metal gates. Contact us for detailed directions.
MINIMUM STAY 2 nights (except Christmas & New Year)
CHILD POLICY Children are welcome (except in Magic Cottage). Portacots, booster seats, and a buggy, as well as children’s toys available FOC.
CHECK-IN 2pm (late check-in is not a problem) | CHECK-OUT 10am
CANCELLATION 30 days 100% | 25% deposit on booking
SEASON Open year round.
CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR No check in or check out on public holidays over Christmas and New Year. Minimum stay period extends to approx 5 – 7 nights i.e. 1 Christmas Booking and 1 New Year Booking). No change overs on public holidays over Christmas & New Year
- Anna & Ian Sizer
- T +64 9 407 8065 / M: 027 545 7633
- W www.takouriver.com
660 Takou Bay Rd, Kerikeri, Northland
Kayaking, beach, relaxing, Carino Sailing with dolphins, New Zealand Maori history, Waitangi Treaty grounds, Cape Reinga.
Beach - 5 minutes walk or kayak
Kerikeri shops & cafes - 25 minutes
Paihia - 40 minutes
Kerikeri Airport - 30 minutes